A fun twist on the traditional cornflake Easter nests, these cupcakes are actually triple chocolate if you count the Mini Eggs! The trick to making these cupcakes more-ish is adding extra cocoa to your buttercream to make it super-duper chocolatey.
- 170g margarine
- 170g sugar
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 30g cocoa powder
- 140g self raising flour
For the buttercream:
- 150g margarine
- 300g icing sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- splash of vanilla essence
- 24 Mini Eggs
- Cream the butter and sugar by hand or using an electric whisk.
- Add the eggs one at a time until combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and flour, and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon evenly into 12 cupcake cases and put in the oven at 180 degrees C.
- Bake for 12-15 mins or until cupcakes are springy to the touch. Place on a wire rack.
- Make the buttercream whilst cupcakes are cooling. Beat the margarine with half the icing sugar and cocoa powder until blended, then add the second half of icing sugar and vanilla essence.
- Put into a piping bag (I used a 1M Wilton nozzle). When cupcakes are completely cool, pipe a rose shape starting in the centre, then add an extra swirl on top of the rose. You’re aiming for a nest-shape!
- Put two Mini Eggs on every cupcake (and eat any leftovers!)